Sunday, April 6, 2008

Yoga and the 2008 Beijing Olympics

Did you know that according to Wikipedia, Origami historically originated from Tibet and that Yoga is "central to Tibetan Buddhism?"

“Historically, Tibet is considered the home of the ancient art of paper folding known as Origami. The tradition started as an artistic way of folding chanted or meditated mantras into decorative shapes in order to help spread their influence over the world.”

I have always been intrigued by the Buddhist culture and will be the first to admit that I know next to nothing about the religion yet have found myself drawn to the simplistic and spiritual aspect related to it. I have even tried to incorporate Yoga in my daily existence to help me achieve a sense of balance, deeper understanding and compassion for the World I live in.

Photobucket

For the most part and because I would like to think I have matured and grown a bit more patient if not wiser, this approach has been relatively effective. I say relatively because it seems to be for some, more ideal to incorporate such philosophies while disregarding the plight of those that brought such concepts and approaches to light.

Yes, I speak of the current crisis that is happening in Tibet. It’s people who are suppressed by an oppressive government. A government who has displaced even it’s own poor for the sake of building the facilities being used for the 2008 Olympics held in Beijing.

Why do we as a Country, speak of Freedoms and Democracy yet remain silent on China’s insistence on suppressing the Rights and Freedoms of Others? Are we so shallow that we tend only to the novelties of Eastern Civilizations, the Art and Sculptures that adorn our very own surroundings presumptuous in our belief that we are therefore as equally Enlightened by doing so?

I for one will not hesitate to boycott the Olympic Games held in Beijing. If I were to discuss the numerous Human Rights violations related to how China governs it’s People, I might just feel inclined to publish a book. As it stand’s, China’s actions with regards to Tibet and it’s people are in direct contrast to the spirit and purpose of The Games and I will not contribute to how it is being undermined by participating as a willing spectator.

Photobucket

No comments: